Soulconnexion Radio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What music have you bought lately?

+2
Andy Bell
Dave
6 posters

Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty What music have you bought lately?

Post  Dave Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Today i bought two 7" singles from the market in town.

Crystal World - Crystal Grass 1975
John Sebastian - Welcome back 1976 theme tune to tv show featuring a young pre-sat night fever John Travolta
Dave
Dave
Admin

http://www.soulconnexion.com

Back to top Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty Re: What music have you bought lately?

Post  Andy Bell Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 am

Richard Darbyshire - Love Will Provide
.House Burned Down
2.Love Crying In The Wilderness
3.Love Will Provide
4.This I Swear
5.Tell Him No
6.Better To Have Lost
7.Understanding
8.Touched By The Hand Of God
9.Wherever Love Is Found
10.True Survivor
11.Nothing Can Keep Me Away
12.When Only Love Will Do
13.How Many Angels
14.Perfect Romance
15.A Good Thing
16.This I Swear (David Morales and Frankie Knucles Radio Mix)
17.Where Love Is Found (Loud And Clear Remix)
tracks 9 and 16 outstanding , the rest the jury is still out Very Happy
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Souljunkie Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:25 pm

Melissa Young - 'Just Up The Road' CD

The whole album is strong throughout and those of you who have visited my Myspace page should have heard her stunning track 'Rock With Me' playing. Its only just out and a limited number of pre-release signed copies are available from her Myspace page at $15 with free P&P - that converts to £8 for the brits amongst us (I got mine hehehe) Razz Very Happy

SJ
Souljunkie
Souljunkie

http://www.myspace.com/justinsouljunkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 am

soul cafe - a set of contemporary modern soul (2007) a 3 CD set with some good choons Smile
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:39 am

I buy nothing!! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:39 am

I get given it hopefully! cheers
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 pm

Maybe we should re word the thread to include music " aqquired" drunken
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:18 am

Erykah Badu - Honey cd single
Stax Chartbusters Vol 1-6
Charles Wright &The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band following albums all to be released in January 2008 on Rhino label,

Hot Heat And Sweet Groove
Together
In The Jungle,Babe
Express Yourself
You're So Beautiful
Rhythm & Poetry
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty Phil Bissell.

Post  Guest Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:51 am

i bought 12" import- Pokey Cold- Let me love you. Rare 80s on Kangaroo label. Worth £100.00 i found it on a car boot sale for £5.00 !!!! What a find..... Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  JAZZBOD Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:50 am

BOUGHT ABOUT 3000 12'S AND ALBUMS TO SELL OF COURSE WILL PICK OUT THE CREAM AND SELL THE REST, THE MRS IS HAVING A GOOD MAON BUT I HAVE CONVICED HER I WILL MAKE MY MONEY BACK 10 FOLD

THE ALLSTARS ALBUM IS A GOOD ONE, SOME LOVELY MODERN SOUL ON THERE
JAZZBOD
JAZZBOD

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:24 am

Village Soul 2 From the soultogetherness people..You really should get this one. Very Happy
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty Richard Darbyshire

Post  Simon Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:05 am

Andy,

I have a great mix on vinyl of Richard Darbyshire - Where love is found, I'll have a look to see who the remix is by.

Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 am

Simon on the CD info it says frankie knuckles did the remix
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:42 am

went to a record fair in middlesbrough town hall Linda found some gems listen in wednesday she will play em Wink
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Young ted Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Barry White - The Collection (memories of my "SuperBad" K-Tel LP in early 1974!)
Tavares - "Best of"
Saturday Night Fever - Remastered.

all for my sister as a birthday present.

And for me this week, " The Noisettes". Fresh, Excellent vocals.

Young ted

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:09 am

Soultogetherness 2009 another great collection from the boys at expansion records cheers
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Young ted Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Have downloaded "Chained" (Rare Earth) and "Date with the Rain" (Eddie Kendricks) to help recreate my vynyl LP "Motown Disc-O-Tech" in digital version. Chained is a heavier, funkier & soulful version of the Marvin Gaye original. Date with the Rain will get even the heaviest foot or boot tapping, unless you have an aversion to fast beats and superb soul singing!

[The same LP has "It's all over bar the Shoutin" (Gladys Knight), Fool for You (Undisputed Truth) plus Willie Hutch, the Miracles and GC Cameron. Played it to Death ! ]

Young ted.

Young ted

Back to top Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty Isaac Hayes - Shaft:Expanded Edition

Post  Dave Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:01 pm

STAX TO REISSUE ISAAC HAYES' SHAFT IN DELUXE EDITION MARCH 15TH 2010. DIGITALLY REMASTERED WITH BONUSMATERIAL AND EXTENSIVE LINER NOTES

Pivotal 1971 soundtrack was one of soul music's best sellers of all time and earned Isaac Hayes a Grammy, Oscar and Golden Globe.

In 1971, the song was everywhere. "Who is the man who would risk his neck for his brother man?" Shaft? Damn right. Isaac Hayes' Shaft soundtrack album became a #1 album on both the pop and R&B charts - and remained on the charts for a jaw-dropping 60 weeks. The first soul soundtrack to a major motion picture would earn Hayes a Grammy, Oscar and Golden Globe and set him on his way to stardom. The soundtrack continues to influence popular music - hip-hop in particular.

On November 3, 2009, Stax Records, will release Shaft (Deluxe Edition), a digitally remastered reissue of the soundtrack including a bonus track: "Theme From Shaft [2009 Mix]." Ashley Kahn, author of several music b ooks, contributor to NPR's "Morning Edition" and adjunct professor at New York University, wrote the liner notes for the deluxe edition.

A primary reason for the enduring significance of the ultimate Blaxploitation film Shaft is Hayes' score. He created music that sounded like nothing else of its day. "The one thing I've learned from Shaft," Hayes told The New York Times in 1972, "is that pop music doesn't set any restrictions anymore. You don't just have to go up there and sing a song because that's the way it was always done before. Use whatever means necessary, be it rap, song or arrangement, to get to the people."

As Kahn notes, "Ironically, the world's first major motion film score created by a soul music producer boasts few tracks that fit neatly into the category of soul. Hayes created a wide variet! y of styles - some vocal, most instrumental - to serve the film's many locations." Examples: the organ-trio groove of "No Name Bar," the popping, jazzy pulse of "Be Yourself," and the gentle 3/4 feel of "A Friend's Place," which channels the bittersweet sway of a Bacharach-David melody.

"Soulsville," a slow-moving vocal heard behind a lengthy ghetto scene, features mournful saxophone and Hayes' sombre voice delivering a sermon on inner city reality. And filling an entire album side was the 19-minute jam "Do Your Thing", featuring distorted guitar pushed along by intermittent horn lines and chanting of the song title.

But the best known song remains the four-minute, 40-second "Theme From Shaft." According to Stax historian Rob Bowman, both musical ideas came from Stax sessions in the ' '60s - the high-hat lick from the break of Otis Redding's 1966 recording of "Try a Little T! enderness" and the guitar part from "a long forgotten track that for o ne reason or another was never released. The song went two and a half minutes before the vocal part began. And then, as Kahn describes, "that call-and-response, or rather question-and-answer lyric that elevated its subject to a mythic level of machismo: who was the black private dick that was a sex machine to all the chicks . . . who would risk his neck for brother man . . . who would not cop out." Shaft. Right on.

Released in September, 1971, "Theme From Shaft" was an immediate crossover hit: #1 on the pop chart, #2 R&B. It became the precursor not only to disco but hip-hop. Kahn notes that at the premiere of the remake of Shaft with Samuel L. Jackson as its lead - 28 years and 18 albums after creating the original soundtrack - Hayes told it like it was. "I've talked to some younger A&R people who'd say, 'Well, what have you done lately?' And I thought to myself, just turn on the radio and listen to some of your hip-hop stuff. That's what I've done lately."
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

What music have you bought lately? Empty James Brown - The Singles Volume 8 ( 1972 -1973 )

Post  Dave Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:54 am

James Brown

‘The Singles Vol. 8 - 1972-1973’

Release Date: 29th March 2010

Label: Hip-O-Select / Polydor/ Universal Music

Format: 2CD

Catalogue number: 2716333

Get ready for another exiting round of genius grooves from James Brown in The Singles Vol. 8: 1972-1973, a new 2-CD set in the acclaimed series that illuminates when JB became “The Godfather Of Soul.”

By this era, Black music was shifting – fast. “Sixties veterans Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield managed to evolve with the changing times, but relative newcomers Isaac Hayes, Al Green and Barry White loomed as the last of a dying breed,” writes compiler and former James Brown staffer Alan Leeds in the set’s liner notes. “The era of the stage shaking, Gospel-based Southern soul man was all but over… Established stars, like Ray Charles, Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett and Jackie Wilson, couldn’t buy a hit record. Somehow, James Brown was still standing.”

Standing he was, rocking the globe with “Get On The Good Foot,” “There It Is” and “I Got Ants In My Pants”; cautioning youth with the anti-drug tale “King Heroin;” helping deliver hits for his super-funky band The J.B.’s with irresistible tracks “Pass The Peas” and “Doing It To Death,” now an all-time classic. He also experimented: a pop duet with Lyn Collins, “What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin’”; a remake of his hit “Think”; a rare cover of The Beatles’ “Something”; working with bandleader Fred Wesley on the score to Black Caesar, resulting in the hits “Down And Out In New York City” and “Sexy Sexy Sexy.”

Several rarities give the package extra collectability: an unreleased vocal version of “Hot Pants Road”; the single version of “Honky Tonk”; the U.K.-only release “I Know It’s True”; the rare mono promo mix of “Ants”; the rare single cover version of “Watermelon Man” by Wesley that features JB on drums; and a second re-cut of “Think.”

All tracks have been newly remastered from the analogue singles masters, sounding better than ever – and several of the original single mixes are now on CD for the first time. The set is accompanied, as with previous releases, by a booklet thick with detailed track annotations, track-by-track anecdotes that serve as a James Brown career timeline, rare photos and reproductions of memorabilia from back in the day, and a sessionography complete with recording dates and band personnel.

DISC 1

1. Nothing Beats A Try But A Fail

2. Hot Pants Road (Vocal)

3. King Heroin

4. Theme From King Heroin

5. Pass The Peas

6. Hot Pants Road (Instrumental)

7. There It Is Part 1

8. There It Is Part 2

9. Honky Tonk – Part 1

10. Honky Tonk – Part 2

11. Giving Up Food For Funk Pt.1

12. Giving Up Food For Funk Pt.2

13. Get On The Good Foot Pt.1

14. Get On The Good Foot Pt.2

15. I Got A Bag Of My Own

16. Public Enemy #1

17. I Got Ants In My Pants – Pt. 1

18. I Got Ants In My Pants – Pts 15 & 16

19. Got Ants In My Pants - Pt. 1 single remix

20. I Got Ants In My Pants - Pt. 2 single remix

DISC 2

1. What My Baby Needs Now Is A Little More Lovin’

2. This Guy – This Girl’s In Love With You

3. Watermelon Man

4. Down And Out In New York City

5. Mama’s Dead

6. Sportin’ Life

7. Dirty Harri

8. The Boss

9. Like It Is, Like It Was

10. Doing It To Death

11. Everybody Got Soul

12. Think (Version 1)

13. Something

14. Think (Version 2)

15. Woman Pt. 1

16. Woman Pt. 2

17. If You Don’t Get It The First Time (Back Up And Try It Again)

18. You Can Have Watergate, Just Gimme Some Bucks And I’ll Be Straight

19. Sexy Sexy Sexy

20. Slaughter Theme
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am

Cool Million - Back for more
Dave
Dave
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:44 am

Leeroy Burgess - Throwback Vol 2
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

The Drizabone Soul Family - All The Way Cool
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum