Soulconnexion Radio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day?

+2
melady
Andy Bell
6 posters

Go down

New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day? Empty New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day?

Post  Guest Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:10 am

Which DJ'S influenced you musical tastes, back in the day....I'll start the thread with a few who influenced me back then....

Greg Edwards
Norman Jay
Pete Tong (Yes before he went all dancey) He was one of the heavy-weight Soul jocks back in the day)
Robbie Vincent
Dave Brown
Tony Monson
Paul (Trouble) Anderson (Another DJ that went the way of Pete Tong) The good news is that he is now doing a weekly residency in Camden, London...Throwing down some wicked, wicked rare grooves..

Anyway over to you....Let's see how many we can come up with.... bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down

New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day? Empty Re: New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day?

Post  Guest Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:26 am

Living in Boston MA USA and being a fresh young chicken of 30 years old that I am, there was only a select few radio stations that played funk, soul, and R&B when I was a child. The one that lasted the longest but unfortunately, was silenced about 2 years ago was WILD 1090 AM a neighborhood station that targeted the black American community. There are no longer any DJ's that I know of here in Massachusetts that are TRUE and Rooted Soul DJ's. There are no venues that have a stictly classic funk and soul music nights, its' always advertised with a mix of reggae and hip-hop if it is played at all, other venues advertise soul music but play a selection of house and garage and break beats mixed in.

Anyway's the DJ's on that now defunked station influenced my love of soul music, but then again, I grew up around it, my mother, aunts and my child sitter also played soul music 24/7.

Back to top Go down

New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day? Empty Re: New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day?

Post  Andy Bell Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:14 pm

For me it was Robbie Vincent and his satuday show on radio1 back in the seventies also a guy called Andy Peebles on Picadilly Radio a station from the manchester area. Also a guy called Steve Edwards who played at he Illawalla country club in Thornton my home town he was completely crazy and knew how to get a dance floor going. Another worth a mention Pete Schofield from the original 007 club in Blackpool.
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

http://www.soulconnexion.com

Back to top Go down

New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day? Empty New thread...Which DJ's influenced you back in the day?

Post  Guest Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:55 pm

Do you mean the Andy Peebles, who went on to present a show on Radio One for many years....Me thinks it possibly it is... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:21 am

yes Con its the same guy Picadilly was a commercial station based in manchester as well as radio1 he also did Top of the pops
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  melady Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:11 pm

well......Suprisingly enough, for me it was Chris Hill.

He played at The Orsett Cock when i was a mere 16.

Introduced me to Tamala Motown and never looked back really,

Very Happy great days

melady

Back to top Go down

Post  Souljunkie Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:22 pm

Well I grew up as a teenager in the 80s listening to "Boogie down with Dave Brown" on Radio Orwell. His show on Saturdays was the first real introduction I had to soul music and then for a while it was Busta Brooker also on Orwell on a Sunday night. I still have a few tapes of those shows.

afro
Souljunkie
Souljunkie

http://www.myspace.com/justinsouljunkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:31 pm

Spent many a great Saturday night... In the Tartan House (Frating) Colchester listening to Dave busting the latest choons!!!!!

GREAT MEMORIES

Back to top Go down

Post  Souljunkie Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:27 pm

I remember him always bigging up his tartan house gig on the radio - think I was about 14 or 15 at the time & wishing I could go..lol

SJ
Souljunkie
Souljunkie

http://www.myspace.com/justinsouljunkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Anna Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:06 am

Greg Edwards, Robbie Vincent, Chris Hill and...THE MIGHTY MICK JACKSON, I remember when he was an east boy playing at the Spooky Lady in Leytonstone.. now that was back in the day!
Anna
Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Bell Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:04 am

It might seem odd but John Peel was responsible for introducing me to Johhny Guitar Watson & Weather Report ( 1977 I think ) his 10 - midnight show on radio1 used to feature a very broad cross section of music.
Andy Bell
Andy Bell
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 am

Andy Bell wrote:It might seem odd but John Peel was responsible for introducing me to Johhny Guitar Watson & Weather Report ( 1977 I think ) his 10 - midnight show on radio1 used to feature a very broad cross section of music.

Hi Andy...
John Peel's musical taste was very diverse to say the least, his outlook was, if it's good, it's good whatever the music style (I remember John playing Glastonbury many moons ago, playing "The Beastie Boys" at the wrong speed...LOL...Anyway

Belive it or not Tony Blackburn Ex Radio 1, used to present a great soul show, many moons ago on Radio Caroline if memory serves me right...

Back to top Go down

Post  MulticolouredVinyl Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:18 pm

"Spent many a great Saturday night... In the Tartan House (Frating) Colchester listening to Dave busting the latest choons!!!!!

GREAT MEMORIES"

Crikey, I put Tartan house into Google for a laugh and look what I got. Did you go to the Embassy Suite in Colchester too Con? My soul week, went Sunday: Embassy; Tues: Windmill at Copford; Weds: Barn at Braintree; Fri and Sat: Tartan House. There was a club called the Viking in Sible Hedingham, or Castle Hedingham can't remember which that soulboys and girls used to go to.

Anyway, I suppose the most influential DJ for me must be Robbie Vincent. I could only just get Radio London on a Saturday, but by keeping my ear pressed to the stereo I heard tunes that shaped my future musical life......

MulticolouredVinyl

Back to top Go down

Post  Vern Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:31 am

Tony Monson
Paul (Trouble) Anderson
Tee Harris (Mixmaster Tee)

Monson is the master. He digs out the most marvellous tunes. Seen him play live a no. of times. Still on Solar Monday to Friday.

Paul Anderson has equisite taste in house music and is awesome in the mix. I saw him when Michael Watford did a PA. An unbelievable night. Paul Anderson was superb & Michael Watford's voice blew me away. Tee Harris used to play a good mixture of stuff and used to slip some comedy clips into his shows.

I went in a record shop years ago and after presenting a list to someone behind the counter and recieving a blank look, Tee Harris emeerged from the back. He looked at my list and found a real good number of them.

oh, and some bloke named Dave Burton is bloody good as well and has a great sense of humour!
Vern
Vern

http://www.smashiton.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down